subtitle


A helpful place for SXU Communication majors

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A little about the BlackBerry Torch



About a month ago, I was forced to purchase a new cell phone from AT&T, since that's the plan my family has been on since forever. I wasn't upset because it was from AT&T because they've always been great in my book but it was the fact of getting a new phone when I was fine with my previous one. You know, "Yeah, the iPhone has new ones out, but I am more than happy with this older one, so I will not waste money." Now I had to waste that money for a new one. Yeah, that feeling.

I saw commercials on T.V. about the Torch and I was really impressed because it had a slide-out keyboard as well as touch screen, which are features I always wanted to be combined. Since I had to get a new phone, I figured that this was an alright time because The Torch had come out and I was interested in it.

I went into the store, since I was in urgent need and didn't have time to order one online, and saw it. I had my mind set that I would get it because as wonderful as my iPhone 3G (not 3GS) was, I wanted something different and nothing is wrong with a little change. In my eyes, BlackBerry has been and always will be the classy, business phone; the Lexus of phones, if you will.

I told the saleswoman, "I want the Torch." Simple as that. Then she asked, "Why?"

Uh-oh. As a saleswoman, she should be happy that I was the easiest customer of the week and hand me the phone so we could be on our merry way. I told her that my old iPhone was no longer usable (nothing that Apple did or could fix) and that I needed a new one, had liked what I saw about the Torch, and therefore wanted it. She proceeded to list the reasons why not to go from an iPhone to a Torch.

1. It's a downgrade more than anything (which I was more than beyond shocked upon hearing because, really, I put BlackBerry on a pedestal).
2. The Torch, still fairly new with it's release only this past August, is having operating problems that BlackBerry is still in the process of working on and fixing.
3. BlackBerry has an app store, but only a fraction of variety and apps overall to choose from.
4. The Torch is not as easy to manage as the iPhone is.
5. The switch from the iPhone to the Torch would take a lot of getting used to and not in a postive way.

Now, I am absolutely not telling you to go buy an iPhone instead of a Torch or to go around telling everyone that the Torch is a horrible phone and not to buy it or to never consider a BlackBerry and the Torch. What I am telling you is that if you do or are looking to buy a Torch, there may be little glitches you'll have to bear with for a while until they're resolved. There is no doubt in my mind, regardless of what the saleswoman said, that the Torch has the potential to be a spectacular phone. For all I know, it could be perfectly fine in how it works now; I just wouldn't know because I've never used it.

As for adjusting from the iPhone to the Torch, it's technology. Any reasonable person can deal with changes and I think switching would not be a life-or-death situation. I believe it is fully doable. We've all switched between phones, televisions, cars before and this isn't an exception.

End of story, I bought the iPhone 4, but not because of the glitches or the adjustment of switching because, seriously, I wanted the Torch and it's sliding/touch screen combination. I bought it because of the app store. Maybe the saleswoman lied or exaggerated, but if the BlackBerry had a larger selection, I definitely would have still gotten the Torch. However, applications have become a requirement for me now with phones (yes, we can blame the iPhone for that), so the fact that it was threatened turned me away from it.

Photo courtesy of Hypebeast.

No comments:

Post a Comment