subtitle


A helpful place for SXU Communication majors

Monday, October 25, 2010

Are they really "profile invaders?"

Align Center

Last Thursday the 21st, Saint Xavier University had gotten around to distributing Tuesday the 19th's edition of the "RedEye." What do I see on the cover? Facebook's "f" with the headline: profile invaders.

Am I surprised? Hardly. I've been hearing about how weak the privacy of Facebook is for years and I still use it. The two-page feature even lists five "greatest moments in Facebook flops," some of which aren't exactly what I would call flops.

RedEye reported from CNN who reported from The Wall Street Journal that some of Facebook's gaming applications shared personal information of their users with advertisers and online tracking companies, even information that the user set on private. Facebook says that the access the application has is being exaggerated.

I talked to Dr. Robinson a little about the article and Facebook privacy in general. I wasn't too worried about this whole "profile invaders" issue because it's all about advertising, right? Users aren't the ones bringing up the complaints; WSJ brought this one up.

Then she reminded me, "You only need three things to make a fake license of someone else: a picture, a name, and a full birthday." With that license, you can then do many things posing as that someone else.

That had me thinking that if a worker at an advertiser or online tracking company wants, they can use you not just for professional work but personal reasons as well.

You can read the RedEye article here.
Photo courtesy of RedEye.

No comments:

Post a Comment