subtitle


A helpful place for SXU Communication majors

Friday, October 22, 2010

Is the iPhone 4 reeeally that great?



I have moved on from my iPhone 3G and onto the iPhone 4. I never had or used the original iPhone or iPhone 3GS, so I am going strictly on the differences of the 3G and 4 although I know the basics of the 3GS. After about a month of using it, here is my conclusion.
(Okay, so the review part of the iPhone 4 is a bit late, but I'm more or less comparing it to the 3G)

The very first thing is the actual shape of the phone. Instead of being curvy and rounded, it is now a hard rectangle. I thought it would be more difficult to hold because the back wouldn't fit in my palm perfectly like the 3G did, but it doesn't take long to realize that this way is better. The sharpness of the corners, particularly the lower right since I use my right hand mostly, fit more securely in your palm so when you wrap your fingers around it, the corner stays put.

The volume buttons are now two separate ones, not one combined button with two sections. This is nice because now you can't mess up which way you want the volume to go. I did that a lot if I was in a hurry, just brushing my finger over it and pressing.

The silent button is both good and bad. Good in that it can't accidentally change on you as easily as the 3G could. Bad in that it actually is sort of difficult to switch the button from one setting to another. With the 3G, you could just flip it with no problem, but now you have to actually push it a little. It's not a big deal, but when I first got it, it was struggle to get used to.

This may be a personal preference, but to me, the home button clicks a lot louder. With the 3G, I knew the perfect angles to hit the button so that it was virtually silent when I clicked it. With the 4, the angles I used are now lessened.

In addition to having a lock screen picture, you can now have a picture as your background on the phone, which the 3G doesn't do. This is a big customary step and a big plus for the 4.

You're now able to put apps in a folder which resembles putting files in a folder on the computer. It's nice if you're organized and want everything to be all in one place. It also minimizes how many pages/screens you use. Personally, I don't use this option because I like having multiple pages and everything laid out in front of me to scan. The 3G didn't have this option.

When you double click the home key, it lists the apps you previously used so you don't have to search for them, which 3G didn't have. This is perfect if you're switching between apps a lot.

Another thing the 3G didn't have is the frontal camera. Instead of having to take multiple blind photos of yourself and your friends, you can change the camera view from the back to the front, which then shows you on the screen while you can see it. To my knowledge, the 3GS didn't have the front camera, either. Also, there's flash for the back camera (not the front), which is a big plus.

So with these differences, is the new iPhone 4 really worth it, or would it be survivable to wait until the next iPhone?

The iPhone 4 is worth it. With the 3GS, the differences weren't as major as they are with the 4, even if you're switching from 3GS to the 4. The front-facing camera, camera flash, app multitasking, background customization, and phone design are all enough reasons to upgrade.

Photo courtesy of AT&T.

No comments:

Post a Comment